About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Last Year's Miracle

This week is full of anniversaries. Yesterday I celebrated seven years of mobility. Today our family rejoices as we remember a miracle that we received exactly one year ago.

Last year on this date, my three year old nephew Jacob was struck by a speeding car. Little Jacob, weighing a slight 35 pounds, was thrown through the air and landed approximately 10 feet from the site of impact. He was airlifted to Children's Hospital. My heart shattered the moment I received that call.

Jacob suffered a broken leg and pelvis. He had facial and tongue lacerations. Defying the logic and experiences of all involved, Jacob sustained no permanent injuries. The emergency room physician was astounded as he tried to explain how a little boy could be thrown so far yet the back of his head never touched the asphalt. Angels were watching over that sweet little boy on that horrible day.

On that day I witnessed the best and the worst of humanity. The emergency responders, medical providers and hospital staff could not have been more loving and supportive. Our family will never be able to find the words to properly thank these heroes.

This incident was also my first exposure to the cruelty of internet "trolls." A newspaper story was published about the accident and, to my dismay, mean spirited comments were left. One was particularly hurtful and, although I know that this pathetic human being doesn't deserve my energy, the hateful words still sting.

Yes "Common Tater" from Hanover, Pennsylvania, I'm referring to you. You went to the internet and verbally attacked me as my family was in the midst of an emotionally draining and terrifying time. A mere hours after this horrific event you took to the newspaper message board and addressed me personally.

You wrote, "You sound like yet another lowlife sex freak woman who probably doesnt work and lays on the computer all day cybering with filthy men. Take a minute and think about yourself Miss Peggy- shouldnt your mind be on your relative in ICU instead of hooking up with any Tom, Dick, and Harry from the net?"

Twelve months has passed and during that time I've tried to make sense of that nasty, venomous attack. My only explanation is that the writer must have no sense of self-worth or pride. Words hurt, even when they are formed from the keystrokes of a lonely troll. I hope that the past year has helped this troll mature and find a sense of self-worth so that he no longer needs to prey upon the heartache of strangers.

Jacob has made a full recovery. As I predicted after the accident, it has become clear that my sister suffers more from those events that day. A mother will never forget seeing her child hit by a car. That nightmare will replay in her dreams forever.

Instead of mourning today, we are able to celebrate the true miracle that happened last year. I love you Jakey!

<------November 12, 2009




November 2010----->

No comments:

Post a Comment