About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Biggest Loser-AmputeeMommy Update

Last month, in anticipation of my upcoming New York City Spokesperson debut, I launched Biggest Loser, AmputeeMommy edition. Although I knew that time was going to be working against me, I resolved to lose ten pounds. I wanted to feel better and more confident.

I committed to my sensible diet regiment; I eliminated all sweets which, if you know me, was an epic sacrifice. On more than one occasion I actually dreamed that I was swimming in a vat of gooey brownie batter. I love chocolate!

Unfortunately I did not pick an easy time to restrict cocoa delights. Halloween presented a struggle, but I maintained a resolve of a well-disciplined soldier. Robby constantly offered me his treats, pleading with me to take a bite using arguments such as, "You love chocolate. Chocolate makes you sleep good and makes the monsters go away. I want you to have some candy because I love you, Momom." I have become quite adept at accepting, pocketing and discarding his confectionery offerings instead of trying to use logic with my little candy man.

In addition to consuming more carrots than a small army of rabbits can eat, I increased my commitment to exercise. I rode longer, harder and faster. Robby and I danced with the Wii and ran through the neighborhood. I started chopping wood to work my upper body and I picked up sticks to trim down my bum. Every waking moment was committed to calorie expenditure. Coincidentally, I learned that that is a miserable way to live.

After a month, I can honestly say that I worked my bum off! I have lost a total of 13 pounds. I feel trimmer and more confident.

Part of me wishes that I had more time to prepare for my New York City trip. On the other hand, I also know that I would never feel completely ready. I will always find something that needs "improved," another flaw that I would either obsess over or try to fix. For my own sanity, and for the sake of my fragile self-esteem, it is a good thing that the trip is next week.

I am feeling as ready as I think possible. I'm nervous but excited about this new adventure. I am also looking forward to a big, and I mean ginormous, chocolate cupcake under a mound of frosting when this is over! And maybe a brownie...

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Peggy!!!! I only made it to loosing two pounds--my chocolate cravings won out with 4 kids worth of Halloween candy, camp snacks and stress--but I will keep on trying!

    ReplyDelete