About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy Day...

Yesterday was a fantastic day! We accomplished a lot of small errands that when done in isolation don't take long, but collectively they seem to monopolize hours. The "vagina bag" was returned, a new bag was ordered and we decided to buy sneakers instead of boots.

In addition to tackling and conquering my To Do list, yesterday was "new liner day." Monday a large tear formed in where the silicone liner meets the inside edge of my socket. I took off my leg to discover that the liner was no longer protecting my skin. Now I have a large purple bruise and some mild skin breakdown on the inside of my knee because of the friction.

I was trying to wait until New Year's Day to wear my new liner, but I changed my mind after I saw the hole and the subsequent bruise. I love slipping on a new liner. It feels cool and smooth and provides a comforting compression. Unfortunately, all of those attributes fade as the liner wears out. Donning a new liner always leaves me with a spring in my step.

For the second day in a row, we spent several hours at the mall. Not that I don't love shopping with my boys, but the pair certainly does slow me down. If I wasn't pulling Robby away from toys I was trying to corral Scott away from the electronics and game stores. I finally surrendered and decided just to order from Amazon.com (through the blog of course).

After shopping we decided to take Robby somewhere to release some pent up energy. Robby Rotten has been making loud and unwelcome appearances daily! We were hoping that running around with other kids would temper his behavior at night. At this point, I was willing to try anything!

We found a new Bouncing utopia called Jump n' Jimmy's. It is closer to my house (only five minutes away) and offers all day bouncing. Jump n' also offers a monthly membership which provides access to the inflatables from 9 am to 8 pm daily, free coffee and free Internet. I was one happy Momom!

Robby ran and bounced yesterday for hours. I sat on the couch with Scott watching Robby run, play and laugh. I began to imagine taking him here daily during the winter to let him bounce. I'll be able to sip on coffee- that is still hot- and work on my computer. I never thought I would be this excited about finding an inflatable playground!

The hours of shopping and bouncing combined to tucker out my little buddy. Robby was well behaved last night, sparing me from the toy confiscation and time-outs that have become our pattern. I was able to cuddle up and watch The Backyardigans with him before putting him to bed. I am not sure that today could have been better!

No comments:

Post a Comment