About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Christmas Wish... A Radio Essay

Several weeks ago I heard a commercial for a contest on my local radio station. Listeners were asked to write an essay detailing their Christmas wish. Throughout the month of December, until Christmas Eve, deserving essays are chosen and the wish is granted.

About a week after I submitted my essay I received a telephone call informing me that I was a finalist. It was difficult for me to temper my excitement, but I am glad that I was able to hold my secret. Since it is almost Christmas Eve and I have received no further contact, I can only assume that my essay was not chosen. Despite not winning the contest, I wanted to share my essay.

My Christmas wish is not for myself, but rather for the members of one of the strongest families I know. My sister Sheri, along with her three young children and husband, have been through hell during the past two years. Despite the obstacles, they have remained a loving, optimistic and cohesive team. My wish for them is a vacation, to rejuvenate as a family and to create positive memories.

In the summer of 2009 the Baker family was looking forward to a Disney vacation. Unfortunately Sheri was diagnosed with breast cancer that spring. The summer months were spent undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. She lost her hair but not her spirit. The family, already struggling financially, nearly broke under the weight of the medical bills.

Wade, my brother in law, took a second job to provide his wife with the best medical care possible. Working nearly 16 hours a day left him on the brink of exhaustion. Because of his long hours, he spent little time with his children, at the time ages five, three and two.

My sister, sick from the treatments, struggled to care for her children. It was a difficult summer, but our families rallied and my sister was pronounced cancer free. She has remained cancer free and ran the Komen Race with me in May on the one year anniversary of the date she started chemotherapy.

Finally, after several tumultuous months, all seemed to be returning to normal. Wade was able to give up his second job and my niece was settling into kindergarten. Happiness and normalcy were slowly beginning to replace the stress that had been residing in the home since the cancer diagnosis.

On November 12, 2009 the family suffered another devastating blow. My nephew Jacob, at the time only 3 years old, was struck by a car in Hanover, Pennsylvania. He was flown by helicopter to Children's Hospital in Hershey. My little nephew's seizure disorder complicated his case, leaving him medically fragile.

Miraculously, Jacob survived his injuries. He suffered a broken pelvis and leg, lacerations and a head injury. By all accounts, his injuries should have been much worse. Physical therapy was added to the growing list of therapies that Jake was already receiving because of his seizure disorder and resulting disabilities.

In the midst of this tragedy, the family focused upon the miracle of little Jakey's survival. My sister tackled Jake's rehabilitation with the same tenacity that she battled cancer. I remain in awe of my sister's strength and resilience during this trying time.

Wade, a truck driver, had his hours reduced during the winter because of the harsh weather. The reduced pay check combined with mounting therapy costs and hospital bills left the family frazzled and financially uncertain. It took months for the uninhibited laughter of childhood to return to the home because of the financial and the emotional strain.

Every day after school my six year old niece puts her extra lunch money in a jar to save for vacation. The medical bills are still being paid, leaving "fun money" in short supply. My sister and her family have been through so much, yet they continue to consider themselves blessed.

I would like my niece and two nephews to have happy memories to help temper the turmoil from the past two years. My wish is that I could make the family's dream vacation of going to Disney World a reality.

I'm bummed out that we didn't win. I was looking forward to giving my niece and nephews Mouse ears for Christmas. At least I tried...

2 comments:

  1. I would have voted for your essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have voted to! Don't give up hope though, they still could have it in the running, ya just never know about these things

    ReplyDelete