About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 07, 2011

Happy Birthday Charlie!

It is hard to believe that it has been a year since we adopted a kitten for Robby. Charlie Cat, although Robby still calls him a "baby kitty," has grown into a large cat. Despite his imposing size, we could not have brought a better feline into our family.

Charlie has proven to be patient and loving. He simply goes limp as he allows Robby to pick him up and carry him through the house. I don't know of another cat that would tolerate being pulled in a wagon throughout the house. I could be wrong, but Charlie seems to enjoy being stuffed into a lidded box so that "Magician Robby" can pull him out.

The mere mention of Charlie's birthday excited Robby. Before I knew it, we were hosting a cat birthday party on Sunday. He invited Mr. Bill and his little friend from down the street. I was asked to bake a cake and a special treat for Charlie.

I told Robby that we would buy Charlie some cat treats at the store for his birthday, but my little party planner protested. "Momom, you make special treats for me because you love me. I love Charlie and I want to make him a special treat, not buy them at the store." It was impossible to argue with that logic.

After researching online, I found a recipe for cat treats, and we went to the store to secure the necessary ingredients (I don't keep sardines in my pantry) to make Charlie "super yummy fish treats." I guess I should mention that I detest most things fish related.

I immediately realized that we were going to have an issue when the dough was being mixed. The scents of tuna (with oil), sardines, anchovy paste and clam juice do not mingle well. Robby was eager to help, until he caught a sniff of the odor. He immediately pinched his nose and exclaimed "That smell is going to break my nose. I'm outta here!" I was left rolling and cutting the cat treats by myself.

I didn't think that anything could be worse than the smell of the fish cookie dough. And then we put the cookies into the oven, and I realized I was wrong. The odor of baking fish cookies could possibly be the most putrid smell ever. I was surprised that we didn't have every stray cat in a five mile vicinity scratching at our door.

I spent the time before Charlie's birthday party baking a loaf of bread and two cakes. I wasn't hungry, nor was I expected a crowd. I was simply trying to eliminate the horrid fish cookie odor. It didn't work. My house smelled like a rotting loaf of fish bread.

Our party guests did not stay long. Everybody claimed that they needed to get home before the Superbowl. I'm fairly confident that the smell of my house hastened their departure.

Robby had a wonderful day celebrating Charlie's birthday. Charlie, always a trooper, wore his party hat and played with the balloon strings and his new feather toy. He loves his kitty treats, but they are going to be rationed. I don't plan on making them again until I can open up the windows while they cook!

Recipe:

1 can of tuna with oil
8 anchovies mashed up (we used anchovy paste)
3 T clam juice
1/2 can of sardines, chopped with juice
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 beaten egg
enough water to make a dough (it took me almost 1/2 cup)

Mix the fish dough together. Roll out and cut into bite sized pieces. (I would recommend rolling the dough on parchment paper because, as I discovered, the fish juice permeates into the counter top making the smell linger.) Bake at 325 until hard and dried (about 30 minutes). Hose your kitchen down with Febreze to try to eliminate the rank odor.

No comments:

Post a Comment