About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Osteoporosis

I was diagnosed with moderate osteoporosis in September. At that time, I was told that I needed "swift" treatment to thwart further damage. Apparently "swift" has a different definition among medical professionals. I finally received my first treatment yesterday, a mere 5 months after the diagnosis.

Yesterday I packed up Robby and we headed for my first infusion treatment. Armed with a fully charged Leapster, a book of mazes and a bag full of Goldfish crackers, I was hoping that Robby would be both amused and occupied.

With a bag full of distractions, Robby and I went to the hospital. I registered and was sent into a dressing area to change my clothes. Yes, I had to strip down and put on a gown (I was permitted to keep my socks and underwear on) to receive osteoporosis medicine!

Since I had nobody to watch Robby, he came to the changing area with me. I tried to undress quickly so that Robby wouldn't notice. He noticed. He began chanting "you look naked" and bombarding me with questions about why my legs were "jiggly." I finally relinquished the Goldfish to occupy his mouth.

After slipping into the ultra-breezy gown, Robby and I were directed to an infusion chair. The nurse began asking me the questions on her form. When she asked, "How did you lose your leg?" Robby looked at her and responded, "Momom didn't lose her leg. See, Momom's leg is right here, on her stump."

The IV treatment was easy and, with the exception of the needle, was pain free. Robby was well-behaved and actively engaged with his maze book. I was relieved that I didn't have to contend with Robby Rotten while tethered to an IV pole!

If you are a lower extremity amputee, please be aware of the risks of developing osteoporosis. 100% of all lower extremity amputees develop a loss of bone density. Uneven weight distribution is the culprit and, despite gait training, the effects cannot be completely avoided. Being a woman increases the risks of developing full blown osteoporosis.

One IV treatment once a year will halt the advancement of my bone loss. In fact, since I am still relatively young, I can regain some of the bone which has been lost. When caught early, the loss of bone density can be easily treated. In this case, ignorance is not bliss. Please talk to your doctor and get tested.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear it is so "easily" treated. I am not really sure I understand why an amputation would cause bone density loss, but I am sure it is just me not understanding.

    I am glad to hear you are being treated.

    ReplyDelete