About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Blissfully Tuckered Out

Yesterday the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Robby and I headed outside to play around 10:30 in the morning and didn't come back inside until almost 4:00. After dinner, he started pleading to go back outside again.

He had a blast playing tag, kicking the ball, fishing and riding his bike. I certainly got my exercise playing endless games of tag, defending the soccer goal (i.e leaf hill) from his undisciplined kicks, untangling the fishing line at least 2 dozen times and jogging along beside him, holding onto the back of his bike for what seemed like miles.

By the time we went out in the evening to play, Robby was forced to wear his froggy boots. He fell in the stream twice, thoroughly soaking both pairs of sneakers. I should not have believed him when he promised not to fall into the stream. Apparently I am a slow learner!

Robby finally learned how to use his bicycle brake. Unfortunately he mastered its use after he discovered the horn mounted on his bike. He was so busy beeping his horn, proudly showing Mr. Bill that he was riding his bike, that he forgot to steer. He rode directly into a tree.

After scolding me by explaining that he is a "boy with legs for walking and not with wheels on his body for riding around," we finally convinced him to get back up on the bike. With my walking in front, he mastered using the brake. He only ran over my foot twice. Both times I was grateful to be an amputee- it didn't hurt me a bit!

By the end of the day, I had one tuckered out little boy, two pairs of soaked race car sneakers, one broken and promptly repaired fishing pole and pants torn at the bum (he got stuck in a tree). He went to sleep without complaint, no doubt dreaming of outdoor adventures to come.

I went to bed with one heating pad wrapped around my stump and another on my back. My little outdoor adventurer wore me out. My leg was jitterbugging all night, probably due to the high impact activities on bruised and already sore tissue.

Despite the discomfort of the evening, I have to say that I had a wonderful day with my little boy. However, today we are supposed to have rain, a forecast for which I am grateful. This Momom needs a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment