About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Limping Down the Bunny Trail

Here comes Peggy Cottontail, limping down the Bunny Trail... Ready or not, Easter is on its way! I love Easter. Actually, I love any holiday that involves receiving copious amounts of chocolate. Whether delivered by a man with a long white beard, a little half-naked winged boy garnishing a weapon, or an overgrown rabbit who plays with eggs, as long as chocolate is involved, I will celebrate!

Unfortunately, I am woefully unprepared for the Easter Bunny this year. Yesterday, instead of making bunny baskets and butter lambs as anticipated, I spent the morning dealing with a broken water heater and a sore leg. After cleaning up gallons of hot water that leaked from the heater's electric panel, (including getting shocked no fewer than two times before I realized that I should cut the electricity) I was frustrated and wanted to cry. Thankfully I held onto my tears- until I was told the cost of a replacement.

To increase my frustrations, I was also having problems with my leg which was not fitting properly. I was continually taking it off to adjust the position. Nothing seemed to help. I was either pushing in the front or pinching in the back. I know that occasional prosthetic fit issues are commonplace for amputees, but knowing that is little solace when I am having a "bad prosthetic day."

I wish I knew what factors lead to having a "bad prosthetic day." Nothing in my routine changed. I wasn't swollen, the socket just wasn't fitting. The impact from walking only increased the burning sensation in the front of my stump or pinched me behind my knee. I was woefully aware of each step. My gait was compromised and I was walking with a pronounced limp for much of the day. The last thing on my mind was preparing for the Easter Bunny (although I do admit to raiding his basket of goodies.)

Last night Robby's fever finally broke. We went outside for a few minutes because he wanted to see the flowers that were blooming. He grabbed a dandelion fluff flower and closed his eyes to make a wish. With all his youthful sincerity he said, "I wish that Momom and Robby will be best buddies forever and ever." Talk about a mood lifter!

Hopefully my prosthetic will fit perfectly today because this Easter Bunny helper has a lot of work to do! Scott will have to go "hopping" to Toys R Us (and the candy store if he wants a happy wife) at some point in the next few days. Robby and I need to get busy baking bunny cars and hanging eggs outside.

*** Incidentally, I also learned that if you plant jelly beans, they grow into lollipops when the Easter Bunny hops past them. (Robby immediately grabbed his little shovel and begged to "start planting those beans" when I told him.) I'll post on Sunday and let you know what happens! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment