About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 01, 2011

My Hickey Leg

I have come to the conclusion that I am a lazy when it comes to dealing with my prosthetics. I like to step into my leg and not have to think about it for the rest of the day. I accept that I have to wear a liner, but if I could eliminate that step, I would!

I was thrilled when I switched to the seal-in liner. I hated wearing the sleeve. My shapely (code for chubby) thighs aren't conducive to holding silicone in place.

I struggled for my first year as an amputee with the sleeve that kept rolling down, bunching behind my knee or ripping in pieces. I was forced to limit my wardrobe to shorts and dresses because I needed constant access to my leg to adjust the "blasted sleeve." I guess I complained enough because when the seal-in liner became available, I was called into my prosthetist's office to give it a try.

Technically, I am supposed to release the valve in order to remove my prosthetic. I have become accustomed to skipping that step altogether. I have been able to remove my leg by stepping on the prosthetic foot with my intact foot and pulling up. I was thrilled with this "short cut" because I was able to save even more time.

Apparently my short cut has been the root of my stump issues. Being able to remove the prosthetic without releasing the valve is an indication that constant suction has not been attained. With each step I have been pistoning up and down within my socket, creating something akin to a giant hickey on the bottom of my limb.

I have now been sentenced to a week using socks over my liner. I detest socks. I find them cumbersome and, quite honestly, I simply resent the extra step. I know that sounds silly, but it is true.

We suspect that I am going to need a new socket. I have been in this socket for so long that I didn't realize my limb has shrunk. I know that the bruising on my limb is not healthy and is compromising my circulation. It definitely needs to be remedied.

Of course, I'm sure that Elsie (my insurance adjuster) will ignore my request for new sockets (my running leg will need to be fixed as well) and I fully expect to be addressing this issue until next winter. Dealing with the insurance company may be the only thing I resent more than wearing socks!

On a separate note, Happy April Fool's Day! Scott and I have vowed to not engage in any practical jokes. Robby, however, has fully embraced the holiday. His plan? He wants to ice a sponge and decorate it with sprinkles. He plans on giving it to his Daddy as a sponge cake. (I think he saw the idea on tv.) In any case, he apparently finds his joke hilarious because he breaks into peels of giggles every time we discuss his plan. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment