About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Gas Prices and the Grumpies

Yesterday I was not in the best of moods. I was feeling overwhelmed with my "to do" list and worried about my family and friends who are struggling. Simply put, I was feeling like I was drowning in a sea of worry about everything. I hate feeling that way!

In an attempt to shake my bad mood, I packed up Robby to head to the park. I was determined that I was going to leave all my frustrations behind. As I turned on the car and cursed my bad day, the dreaded yellow light was flashing--I was almost out of gas.

I hate getting gas, especially since it is now almost $4.00 a gallon. On the short drive to the gas station, between holding my breath hoping that I won't have to push the car and lamenting the fact that I was going to have to shell out a lot of money for a liquid that I need but don't particularly enjoy, my mood continued to sour. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, gas has become so expensive!

For the first time, we have started to cut down on the amount of driving that we do. Scott will stop for groceries on the way home from work so that we don't drive later. I haven't been visiting my Mom as often because it now costs about $50 in gas. We have begun calculating fuel costs into every decision. In reality, we probably should have been doing this for years, but rising gas prices have made reducing use a priority.

Still suffering from a bad case of the "grumpies," I pulled up to the pump and prepared for my financial purging. After few minutes my car was full and my wallet was lighter. I crammed the crumbled receipt into the console of my car and turned the car back on. Pulling away from the station, I told Robby that gas now cost an arm and a leg.

A few moments later, Robby looked up from his Leapster and very sweetly said, "Well Momom, if it is going to cost an arm and a leg it's a good thing that we have lots of legs at home." In a moment, Robby's innocent observation changed my mood. My "grumpies" evaporated as I began to chuckle about his comment. He has such a wonderfully unique perspective on the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment