About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Grumpy Momom

The past week has been dreary and damp. At first the dismal weather was a nice excuse to cuddle up in front of the fire and hibernate, but the novelty of hiding from the world is wearing thin. I miss the sun, but I think I miss the dry air more.
With the exception of my fall, I typically don't have an issue with pain. Although I have flare ups of phantom pain a few times a year, many of my amputee friends suffer with the agony on a regular basis. Perhaps because it is such a rare occurrence, when I feel uncomfortable I become frustrated and agitated.

My legs had finally turned the corner since my injury two months ago. My gait had almost normalized and the pain was reducing to nothing more than a dull reminder of the incident. Of course, then the weather changed and now everything is different!

There is no specific place that hurts on my limb. Instead my leg just feels extremely sore as if I had run a 5K wearing heels.  I can't fully weight my socket so I resemble a stammering zombie when I walk.

Robby's classmates have even noticed the difference in my gait. Yesterday afternoon when I picked him up, his friend remarked that I must be having a "bad leg day" because I am walking different. I hate that he was correct, but I love that he has picked up on the terminology and felt comfortable enough to discuss it with me!

Thankfully the weather is supposed to break tomorrow afternoon. I'm looking forward to some drier air and some sunshine. Hopefully my leg will rebound quickly and I'll be back to my near normal state. In the meantime, I will probably remain grumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment