About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 07, 2014

The Big "O" Talk-- Courtesy of Good Morning America

Robby is at that age where he is highly influenced by what he sees on television. Because he is a little sponge, I try to keep a close eye on what he watches. Unfortunately, sometimes I slip up and he sees something that is entirely inappropriate.  Yesterday I experienced one of those parental fails.

Like me, my little guy loves a bargain. He is particularly fond of the Steals and Deals segment on Good Morning America. Every Thursday he hovers around the television as the shiny boxes are lifted to reveal "amazing bargains." He often begs for us to take advantage of the deal, mimicking the hosts by spouting all of the product's attributes and the money saving opportunity. On rare occasions I agree and hop on the computer to snag the deal. 

Yesterday morning I was getting ready to drive the neighbor up to the bus stop when I remembered that Steals and Deals was about to air. I turned the channel from SpongeBob to Good Morning America, and told Robby to keep his eye out for a good bargain. I grabbed my keys and drove Rowan to meet the school bus. Robby remained on the couch with his eyes glued to the TV anticipating the deal of a lifetime

I came back a few minutes later and Robby had not moved. I glanced at the television and realized that I had not missed the deals. I sat next to him and immediately felt uncomfortable when I realized the topic of the segment which I had instructed Robby to watch.

Instead of Steals and Deals, Robby watched an entire segment detailing a new medical breakthrough to promote female orgasms. Almost reading my mind, he looked at me and asked, "Momom, do you have trouble with organisms in the bedroom. Organisms are between your sheets somewhere. If you do, you can get this new shot. It might make you really really REALLY scream."

I was horrified by his innocent inquiry and possible solution. Not quite knowing how to react, I did the only thing I could think to do. I told him that I was fine and assured him that I do not need a shot. I could tell that he was impressed by the segment.  Before he could continue his plea for me to try to remarkable new organism shot, I did the only thing I could think of to change the topic.  I offered him a cupcake.  Thankfully he became distracted by the treat and, by the time he had crammed it into his mouth, Deals and Steals began to reveal the amazing bargains. I can only hope that he was impressed enough by the bargains and the unexpected treat to pursue the "organism" discussion.

From now on, I will no longer trust Good Morning America as a child-friendly program. Saving money on some products is not worth the adult themed discussions which may ensue from watching the show. Thankfully Robby is still at an age where he is distracted by pastries!

No comments:

Post a Comment