About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Benefit?

An unexpected benefit of my recent surgery was my forced convalescence.  As my abdomen healed, I was required to rest on either the couch or my rocker. The quiet time of little mobility allowed my leg to finally heal from the re-amputation surgery. Walking pain-free is a luxury I will never again take for granted!

After my surgically induced respite, I was delighted when I realized that I wasn't feeling pain when I was walking. The nagging soreness is gone, and my leg is nearly back to its pre-surgery self. I guess the experts were correct when they recommended I allow myself more time to heal. Maybe I should start putting more credence to their recommendations. 

My socket is now too big, but with the addition of socks I am able to compensate for the volume change and remain mobile. I hate socks, but this is primarily because I am lazy when it comes to my prosthesis. I like things as simple as possible, and having to don socks is a step which I have come to resent. I am more of a "step in and go" girl, but transitioning to a new socket forces me to not only to mess with socks and padding, but also I also have to lubricate my socket in order for me to slip it on.

Shrinking is a fabulous condition in every part of my body with the exception of my limb. I'm delighted when my pants become too big. Unfortunately I don't experience that joy nearly as much as I would like. The shrinking of my residual limb sparks a series of events that becomes both time consuming and frustrating.  The end result, walking in a perfectly fitting leg, is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment