About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, January 01, 2016

Reflections on a Difficult Year

Happy 2016!

My new calendar is hanging in the kitchen, and 2015 is officially stuffed into a shelf on my closet. It definitely wasn't the easiest year, and I am not ashamed to admit that I am happy to see it go. I can't help but think about everything that has transpired during the past twelve months.  Although it wasn't all bad, the losses were definitely what sprang to mind first.

Almost a year ago today I received a phone call from my Dad which dropped me to my knees. He was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer. In that moment, everything changed. My life became consumed with his care and happiness. I am so thankful for Scott and my Mom for rallying to take care of the boys so that I could stay with my Dad in Texas.  His death was difficult to bear, and I continue to feel his loss.

My Uncle George (my Mom's brother) also passed away this year. He became suddenly ill and passed away quickly. I am glad that he didn't suffer, although I regret that my Mom didn't get to see him to say goodbye.

I can't help but remember Pat, who was a dedicated reader of this blog and became a friend. He and his wife Mary came to stay with us as they were moving to New Mexico. Pat passed away this year. I miss his witty comments on my blog and Facebook page. 

Although this was a year of losses, our family also had some wonderful adventures. At the top of the list was our trip to Arizona.  Although I was working, Scott and Robby were able to take what has been dubbed the "epic father and son trip."  The pair continue to reminisce and smile about their vacation adventures.

Hamlet has grown by leaps and bounds this year.  He is now walking (although prancing would be a more apt description since he seems to have only one speed), and babbling up a storm. He has shown himself to be curious, mischievous and silly. He smiles from the moment he wakes up until he is put in his crib at night. We are so lucky to have such a happy little toddler!

It is hard to focus and reflect upon the happier moments of the past year, but today I am trying. Our little family has had a wonderful year despite the losses that we experienced. In a way we were brought closer through our grief, and for that I could not be happier.  Although I become frustrated, anxious and stressed, I really do have the best family and friends to support me through whatever challenges come my way.

I am looking forward to the next twelve months. I have a brand new calendar with empty spaces just waiting to be filled. I can't wait to find out what is in store for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment