About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Prepping Fail

All good things must come to an end and, much to the dismay of Scott and Robby, this includes Christmas vacation. We have had a fun (and incredibly busy) vacation, but today they are returning to school. I know that they are both bummed out to be resuming the daily grind. I should probably echo their emotions but that is not the case. While I loved having everybody home and thoroughly enjoyed all of our family adventures, I'm looking forward to a quiet house and the normalcy of my daily schedule. 

Having Scott and Robby home, in addition to Timmy every day, makes my life chaotic and extraordinarily busy. I'm always shocked at the extra dishes, the endless cooking and the mountains of laundry that are required when they are on "vacation." I'm worried that it is going to take weeks to reorganize my house and to clean up after their holiday.  

While I had planned to begin my post-vacation scrub down today, all of my plans have been put on hold until my leg heals up. I made a monumental mistake while packing for our Great Wolf Lodge trip by forgetting to include an extra liner. I was forced to wear the soggy liner all evening after playing in the water park. The moisture caused the skin on my limb to breakdown, resulting in a few small sores. 

Right now the spots are simply tender, but I know that if I don't allow myself to heal, they will only worsen. Today I'm going to curl up on the couch in front of the wood stove, keep my leg off (as much as possible) and watch The Polar Express with Timmy. Apparently Hamlet didn't get the memo that the Christmas season is over because the movie is still streaming on our television.

I'm aggravated with myself for making such a simple mistake! Planning ahead and anticipating possible issues is one of the most frustrating aspects of living as an amputee. On days like today, I miss the spontaneity of living life with both biological legs. I didn't have to constantly prepare and make adjustments because of limb and prosthetic issues. I don't like prepping all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment