About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Crutch

For the first time in four years, I am relying on a crutch to get around. While I dislike using a crutch, I know that I wouldn't be able to walk at all if I refused to use it. I developed a bone bruise on the bottom of my tibia, making walking extremely painful. With the crutch I am able to offload the weight from my prosthesis, minimizing the discomfort and hopefully allowing it to heal quickly.

My leg has been increasingly tender and uncomfortable with the issue being especially pronounced in the mornings. For the past week, I have been holding onto furniture, walls and any stable object within my reach until I became adjusted to the prosthesis. In reality, I think my "adjusting" was simply my leg numbing up. 

Yesterday afternoon I sat down and slipped my leg off to relax for a few minutes. When I tried to put it back on, the intense pain had returned. Only this time, I was not able to wait it out. I tried for nearly an hour to walk through the pain only to have it intensify and become more debilitating. I had no choice but to go to the back of our closet, pull the clothes off the top of the crutch and start using it.

Timmy has never seen me use a crutch and he found the sight both intriguing and upsetting. When I explained that Momom had pain walking and that the crutch was going to help, he went into "Doctor Timmy" mode. Using his veterinary kit, I received a thorough check-up. I was diagnosed with a leg ouchie and told to sit on the couch. While I was sitting on the couch, Doctor Timmy brought me tweezers, a bandaid, a Poise pad, a can of soda, a bottle of Benadryl, a peach lollipop and his puppy blanket. Basically, he brought me everything I have ever used to help him feel better when he was sick.

My leg is feeling a tad better today, but I will continue to use the crutch. Hopefully, a few days of taking it easy will get me back on my feet. Until then, I'm planning on taking Timmy to an indoor playground so I can sit while he can safely expend some of his energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment