About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Ice

Much to the chagrin of the boys, the snow is already beginning to melt. While schools ended up being canceled yesterday, today things are almost back to normal. Scott has a two-hour delay to safeguard against the ice that always accumulates overnight.

I don't mind snow, but I absolutely abhor ice. I disliked ice before my amputation but trying to navigate while wearing a prosthesis makes me feel vulnerable and scared. Each time I see the sheen on our steps and driveway my anxiety begins to rise. In a perfect world, we could have snow without ice!

My Yak-Trax definitely help, when I remember to put them on but aren't always convenient. Planning ahead is not my strength!  I am notorious for wearing the foot guards out the house and forgetting to take them back out when leaving the car. Not having the guard when I need them does not make them terribly useful in my life.

Both boys love the ice that accumulates overnight. They are quick to don their gear and head outside to nature's slip n' slide. Because Robby is 12 and a good big brother (most of the time), I watch this adventure sipping on my coffee from the comfort of my living room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment