About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Trick Gone Too Far

I spent the majority of my day chauffering the family to and from appointments. Between Robby's classes and Scott's dental appointment, I spent hours driving the same roads through town. The cold rain made the day drag, which may explain why I played a pretty mean trick on Robby.  

I didn't intend to play a trick on him, it just sort of happened organically. After dropping Robby off for his math tutor, I went to pick up Scott from the dentist. We decided to go directly to Chick-Fil-A to allow Timmy to run and play for an hour or so while we waited for Robby to finish his class. When Robby texted me that he was finished and ready to be picked up, Timmy was busy having fun with a new group of buddies. Instead of pulling him away from his fun, Scott opted to stay at the restaurant while I went to pick up Robby.

By the time I picked up Robby, I was worn out from driving all day. When he got into the car, he immediately asked about Timmy. Without thinking, I told him that he was playing at Chick-Fil-A and that we needed to go pick him up. "What do you mean he is at Chick-Fil-A? You just left my little brother there?" I could tell by his reaction that he was upset, and instead of alleviating his worries by informing him that his Daddy was at the restaurant, I decided to keep the ruse going. I probably should have told him, but for some reason, I decided to turn the whole misunderstanding into a joke. 

Before I knew it, Robby had worked himself into a tizzy of panic and worry over his little brother.  I suppose part of me was relieved to witness his strong reaction because it was a true indication of his love and concern for Timmy. By the time I was ready to tell him about the joke, we had arrived at the restaurant. Robby bolted out of the car and ran at full sprint into the play area. When he saw Scott standing next to Timmy, my sweet and concerned little Koopa almost burst into tears of relief. 

I honestly didn't think that he would become panicked. I really thought that he knew I would not have left Timmy unattended at a restaurant and that he was playing along with the joke. It turns out that I was wrong, and his big brother protective instincts were kicked into high gear. Talk about a mom joke gone bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment