About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Sunday, September 01, 2019

My Friend

Losing a friend is never easy, but I think the death feels more tragic when it is sudden and unexpected. A few days ago I received the news that my former co-worker and friend Bill died suddenly. (Not to be confused with Mr. Bill, who is currently in Florida evaluating retirement communities.)  Bill and I worked closely together for years, and through the meetings and work emails we forged a strong friendship. Unlike many work friendships which fizzle when the co-worker status ends, our connection remained strong.

Bill was a talented editor and fierce advocate for the limb loss community. He spent decades carefully crafting articles and providing information that was pertinent for those living with amputations. His contributions to the limb loss/ limb difference community are too many to list, and he has left a professional void that will be felt for years to come.

I am thankful to count Bill as a friend. He supported me when I left the Coalition, and we continued to share information and resources. Because Bill had the same hearing loss as Robby, I was able to understand some of my son's struggles and obstacles. Having an adult perspective on the hearing loss, hearing him relay his feelings and frustrations as a child, was invaluable. Because of Bill, I came to understand struggles that Robby was not able to articulate.

Bill was kind, caring and kind. He possessed the sharpest wit I have ever known. I will miss our banter, and our friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment