About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, December 20, 2019

It's Not Okay

As the mother of a child with a speech issue, the tweet sent by Sara Huckabee Sanders during the debate last night has left me feeling both infuriated and deflated. Let me be clear, it is never okay to mock an impairment. This is not a partisan issue, or at least it shouldn't be political. 

The message that she succinctly sent in a now deleted tweet cannot be undone. This morning, kids like my Robby will listen to the news and realize that they may never outgrow and nor will they completely outwork their differences. As hard as Robby has been working to improve his articulation, and he has made great strides, he will probably always have slightly slushy moments. 

Having a speech impairment is not an indicator of intellect, but yet Sara confirmed that myth in one fleeting moment last night. She hurt scores of kids, young adults and their families with what she probably envisioned to be a witty observation. As a woman who demonstrates marked exotropia, she should have known better. 

I'm tired of the growing normalization of mocking individuals with disabilities. I have seen my limp being mocked by strangers in public areas. I have witnessed Robby's speech being mimicked by adults. I have heard the complaints of fellow shoppers after being slowed by an individual in a wheelchair.  None of this is okay.

The emboldened judgment that seems to be stirring in the underbelly of society is not acceptable. Sander's tweet is just another example of the growing wave. Her apology does nothing to diminish the damage of her judgmental words. 

It's not okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment