About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Testimony

It amazes me how plans can change. Before the sun rose yesterday I had already planned out my schedule. The weather was going to be nice, allowing Timmy and I to go to the park to play. I knew that I was going to work several hours in the morning so that I could unplug for a few hours to just play and enjoy the time with the kids.  

As I was approaching hour number three on my computer, the phone rang. On the other end was a fierce advocate friend of mine, and I immediately knew that her early morning call had to be important. I wasn't wrong with my assumption.  

A Bill to clarify that microprocessor devices were classified as Essential Health Benefits was being debated in the Virginia House that afternoon. As it currently stands, prosthetic devices are already considered Essential Health Benefits under the ACA but because the higher tech devices are not specified, many insurers are using the omission as a loophole to deny coverage. 

SB 382 was written to close the loophole leading to coverage denials. Microprocessor and myoelectric technology is not new has become a standard of care in the past 15 years. When medically necessary, as determined by a physician and through the testing and notes of the treating prosthetist, the technology can be life changing. Fewer falls, increased stability and a more natural gait are all benefits when microprocessor technology is utilized. 

As I was talking with my friend through her frantic phone call, I learned that the patient advocacy coalition had dropped the ball. Not only did this organization fail to provide any patient speakers, but they were not sending any representatives to speak out in support of this legislation. I was disgusted but certainly not surprised. I learned a long time ago that not all coalitions are equally passionate or authentically energized by their mission. Thankfully the limb loss/ limb difference community has supporters and advocates in a variety of organizations!

I quickly looked at the clock and realized that, if I left within the next hour, I could make it to Richmond in time to testify. I called Scott at work (something I try to avoid doing whenever possible) and explained the situation. He immediately went to see the principal to explain the situation. Thankfully his principal saw the importance of both the issue and my testimony. Scott was granted unplanned leave for the day and drove home to watch Timmy for the day.

As soon as Scott came home Robby and I hopped into the car and began the 2+ hour trip to Richmond. During the drive Robby read me the text from the Bill as well as the notes that were provided. We talked through my testimony and the issues in order to prepare. (I love that my 13 year old son was not only interested in the issue and the legislative process but was eager to spend the day supporting my efforts.)

I will write more about the actual testimony tomorrow. Despite all of the efforts, the Bill was not passed. Instead it was sent to a committee for further review. 

I am frustrated but remain undeterred.





No comments:

Post a Comment