About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Spaghetti and Meatball Challenge

It was hot yesterday, with the humidity we were bordering on miserable. Timmy enjoyed playing on his Slip 'n Slide for about an hour, but even he was content to stay inside for most of the day. While he was watching Spongebob and Robby was busy with his cousins, I took the opportunity to get a lot of work done.

By dinnertime I had revealed the next challenge in our book. The challenge, eating your dinner without your hands, sounded perfect for a spaghetti and meatball meal. Luckily my Mom was game and helped me put the plan into motion.  The Crew knew that we were up to something but their guesses weren't even close.

Wearing old shirts and standing next to the table covered with plastic tablecloths, the kids were immediately both intrigued and perplexed.  I took the big wok of spaghetti and meatballs and dumped it into the center of the table.  I spread it out so that everybody had a portion within reach before we explained the challenge.  After that, it was game on.  

I wasn't surprised that Timmy was a natural at this challenge. He loved sticking his head right into the mound of spaghetti and had no inhibitions about being dirty. He happily slurped noodles and munched meatballs, giggling and laughing throughout the dinner.  My mom even got into the action!

Because of the contamination, I knew that nobody would want to eat the leftovers. Instead, I balled up the disposable tablecloths and called the kids into the backyard. I opened up the pile of leftovers and invited them to a food fight.  As soon as they heard those words, it was game on!

Today we are heading home. I'm sad to be leaving, but so happy that we were finally able to visit. I'm hoping that the pandemic continues to weaken so that we can return again soon.  










 

No comments:

Post a Comment