About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tips from an Amputee Mommy

During pregnancy, swelling in your stump can be detrimental. I wore two shrinker socks every night to try to keep it controlled. When I needed to get a new socket, I was casted in the morning. In the morning, your stump tends to be at its largest. Let's face it, it's better to have a socket that is a tad too big. You can always put on those pesky socks. If a socket is too tight, sores and infection can develop, which is not good for Mommy or baby.

The reality of the size of my belly hit me like a ton of bricks when I woke up one morning and discovered I was no longer able to put my leg on by myself. Thankfully I was able to get my husband to help. For the duration of my pregnancy, he helped me with my liner before he went to work each morning. If my leg was upright, I could step into it independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment