About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Pinch cuts... yep, I've got one.

Bring out the Neosporin. I've got another pesky pinch cut on the back of my knee. These cuts, although no deeper than a paper cut, can be extremely uncomfortable. It is also an inconvenience, because I'll have to try to take my leg off as much as possible today.

I try to not take my leg off in front of Robby, because I'm never sure what he will do with it. For some reason, Mom's leg is the coveted "toy" that he only gets to play with occasionally. When he sees that it is off, he swoops in as fast as an owl catching a mouse at night. And then he runs. Let's be realistic, he is only three and carrying a 5 pound leg. He doesn't really go that fast. Unfortunately, he still runs faster than I can hop, so he usually gets away.

I suppose his keen interest in playing with my prosthetic is my fault. My husband and I decided, before Robby was even born, that we never wanted him to be afraid of my leg. We wanted him to be comfortable around prosthetics and stumps. I fear we may have taken our desensitizing a step too far.

I am nursing my last cup of coffee, smiling because I know the adventure packed day that lies ahead for my prosthetic. While I am putting on antibiotic ointment and resting my stump, my leg will have a very active day. If the past is any indication, I think Mommy's leg may go for a few rides in a shopping cart. It will then become an obstacle course for trains and cars and a basket for small balls. I'm sure the leg will become an ant smashing dinosaur at some point. And, if I'm really lucky, it may receive a make-over with Thomas the Train stickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment