About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

OUCH!!

Ouch! It's going to be a bad day. I woke up this morning, put on my liner and leg, and walked the short distance for my coveted and much needed cup of morning coffee. With my very first prosthetic step, I felt a sharp pain on the outside of my stump, just below the knee.

This pain emerges occasionally. Typically it is the result of one of two culprits. Sometimes my leg is not on correctly and the socket is pinching. (Yes, it is possible to put your prosthetic on incorrectly!) Usually I can take my leg off, put it back on, and continue walking. The absence of the pain indicates that the leg was initially twisted, causing the pain.

I tried to readjust my prosthetic, but the pain persisted. This points to my other hypothesis for the stump pain. An examination of my stump confirmed my "diagnosis." I am developing a sore.

I've taken the proactive step of lathering on with Neosporin. Unfortunately, the cream leaves my stump slick and greasy which makes it difficult to keep the liner in place. I know my limb will be sliding up and down all day because of the lubrication, and my liner is going to be difficult to clean tonight.

Keeping the leg off completely is just not feasible. Robby is too active. Between the leaves and the nuts on the ground, using crutches outside borders on dangerous. I'll have to wear my leg today, but hopefully I will be able to encourage some quiet activities for Robby.

I have discovered that Robby cannot be trusted when I take my leg off, even if he is "seemingly" engaged in an activity. He is only three, but he already knows that Mommy is slower without her leg, giving him the advantage.

Robby's cunning and speed never ceases to amaze me. The last time I had my leg off in front of him was memorable. He was actively watching Diego on TV. I say "actively" because Diego is an interactive show, asking children to answer questions and act out scenes to "help" the characters. My legs were tired, and I sat on the bed and popped my leg off.

Seemingly without missing a beat, Robby grabbed my leg and ran into his room, giggling almost as quickly as his little legs were moving. After I realized that he was not planning on returning my leg, I hopped and crawled to his bedroom. I finally found the prosthetic in the trunk of his race car bed. I found Robby under the kitchen table, buried fist deep in the ice cream.

I've learned my lesson. Now when I take my leg off, I keep it within reach at all times. Robby may continue to eye the prosthetic, but he no longer has the opportunity to enact his plan. I am hoping that his attention can be held by his marble run and Little Bear, at least until the Tylenol kicks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment