About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy WALKING DAY to ME

I wrote this awhile ago. Many of you have read it before. Please forgive the repetition, but I felt that it was an appropriate blog for WALKING DAY! I'm off for a day of doting and pampering. Well, maybe not so much the pampering aspect, unless you count not having to change the cat litter....


Holding Hands

I see couples, everyday, walking and holding hands. This simple act of affection goes unnoticed by most.

When I met my future husband in 2000, I was unable to walk without crutches. I suffered a severe injury to my foot that left me with constant pain and fragile bones. I wasn't looking for a relationship, resigned to the fact that nobody would want to become involved with somebody carrying such significant medical baggage.

Scott and I were both special education teachers, and struck an immediate friendship. As the relationship began, I informed him about my injury. I was facing years of painful, difficult surgeries and would, quite probably, deal with issues for the rest of my life. At 24 years old, this was quite a daunting reality for me to face. Undeterred, we fell in love.

Shortly after our romance began to blossom, I was diagnosed with cancer. Instead of fleeing, he remained steadfast in his love and support. He held my hand through surgeries and treatment. With his support, I regained my health.

After enduring 17 surgeries on my foot, I was faced with a difficult choice. We wanted to get married and start a family. I didn't want to get married until I could walk down the aisle, unassisted. Starting a family was going to be difficult because I am a cancer survivor, compounded by the issues surrounding my foot. I chose to amputate my left leg.

On July 3, 2003, Scott drove me to the hospital for the amputation. I cried the entire trip, firm in my decision but fearful of my life as an amputee. He was strong, and never wavered in his support. He kissed me as I was wheeled in the operating room, and I learned later that this is when he broke down and wept.

When I woke up in the hospital room, I remember him leaning over, stroking my hair, and telling me that I was beautiful. He remained by my side throughout the hospitalization and through the very long, painful recovery. He learned to bandage my stump, pack wounds and help me bathe. He held me when I cried and encouraged me to move forward. It was a difficult journey.


On November 11, 2003 I was fitted with my first prosthetic. Scott was by my side as I took my first steps without crutches. He took videos and pictures of the entire event. I was thrilled. I was walking.

Later that day, we went to the mall. He squeezed my hand as we walked together. He whispered that this was the first time he has been able to hold my hand because he has never known me without crutches. We sat down on a bench, held each other and cried.

November 11th is celebrated in our home as “Walking Day.” We still hold hands when we walk, but now they are joined by our miracle, our active and delightful three year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment