About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Snow

We had our first official snow of the year. Robby woke up and the neighborhood was covered with white. He was thrilled. He reaction this year was so different than how he reacted last year. Last year when he saw snow for the first time, he began to sob uncontrollably because everything turned white. This year, he knows that the white is snow, and that snow equates fun.

He didn't afford me the courtesy of slurping down my first (and only) cup of coffee before he began to plead his case to play outside. He ran through his repertoire of "please" and "Robby good boy" and finally beat me down with the "I love you Momom." Yes, that one gets me every time.

After 20 minutes of dressing him for his wonderland adventure, we were finally able to go outside. I pulled a pair of Scott's sweatpants over top of my comfy pink pajama bottoms, put my coat on, grabbed my hat and gloves and was ready to go. Winter, here we come!

Robby was delighted with the snow falling. He ran around the yard trying to eat the snowflakes. Whenever he caught one on his tongue he told me that it "needed sugar." It wasn't until that afternoon, when we were watching Charlie Brown Christmas for probably the 200th time, that I realized he was copying the cartoon.

Robby and I made a snowman. Actually, Robby pushed the snowball down the hill. I had to carry them back up the hill so that he could push them down again, making them bigger. Snowballs get heavy, either that or I'm getting old. I'd like to think that the snow is just weighing more because of global warming. I managed to convince Robby that the snowman should be short
because Frosty is afraid of heights.

I loved watching him run around and play. That is where my enjoyment of the snow ended. I was struggling to stay erect because I couldn't find my ice walker attachments for my shoes. Balancing on snow and ice when on a prosthetic is difficult.

If I have a complaint about my prosthetic, it would be that I can't wear a snow boot. Actually, I probably could wear a boot if I bought the left one several sizes larger. I would have to be willing to invest the time to put the boot onto the prosthetic before going outside and removing it when I came back into the house. Because it is difficult to put on a boot when you are lacking ankle movements, it would be an investment of at least 30 minutes. 30 minutes when you have a toddler eager to go outside is an eternity!

After my amputation I bought a pair of "ice walkers" on the Internet. They are metal treads that slip on your shoes with plastic bands. Simple and effective. Effective, that is, when you remember where they are and have them attached to your shoes. Mine are stashed away in a box somewhere, probably in the back of a closet behind all my leg lamp paraphernalia. They aren't nearly as effective when you can't find them!

After several hours of snow play, Robby was finally convinced to come inside. To be honest, it took the promise of cookies and hot chocolate to lure him away from the snow. I made "my boys" hot chocolate and put our wet clothes in the dryer. While Robby was busy with his snack, I took the opportunity to look for my ice walkers.

They weren't in the closet. I looked in all of the "logical" locations. They were no where to find. In retrospect, I would have to agree with Scott. I was getting frustrated and grumpy. I was just about to give up, and then I had an idea. I found them where I find everything that seems to disappear. They were in the drawer of Robby's train table.

I realized I was tired and cold. My back was also hurting, probably from pulling the sled with a 40 pound toddler weight in the back, up our hill at least 20 times. I took ibuprofen. I made myself another cup of coffee.

I sat down in front of our Christmas tree to enjoy my coffee. What a beautiful scene, the twinkling tree with the falling snow in the background. Three sips into my steaming hot cup of wonderful caffeine, Robby found me. He immediately began asking to go back outside. "Please Momom.... Puullllllleease.... "

No comments:

Post a Comment