About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Yes, I'm talking about Poop

It has been a difficult few days in our home. I have been struggling to infuse our home with holiday spirit, but I feel that my efforts are in vain. Our family has been commandeered and is being controlled by the colon of a three year old! Honestly, I can say that I haven't been loving the whole "mommy thing."

Robby has been suffering from bowel issues. In essence, and to spare you all of the unflattering details, he has been "withholding." He apparently had a painful bowel movement a few weeks ago, and was psychologically scarred. He is now fearful of pooping. He doesn't fear spiders, or worms or even snakes. My little guy has to be afraid of poop.

Whenever the urge hits him, Robby runs and hides behind his Elmo kitchen. I see and hear him struggling with cramps and his efforts to fight to urge to poop. I must say, he has the sphincter muscle of a champion because he has been successful.

In addition with being constipated, Robby has developed a horrible diaper rash. His little bum is raw, making it difficult to convince him that pooping is a good thing. As far as he is concerned, pooping equals wipes, and wipes equal pain. He doesn't want anything to do with poop. The cycle continues.

I have been trying without success to break the poop cycle. Per doctor instructions, I have started Robby on a daily regimen of Milk of Magnesia. Again, I must give props to his anal control because after three doses, little has been produced!

Scott and I have blown our Christmas budget on creams, ointments, sprays and gels to help heal his sore bum. My bedside table resembles that of an old woman in a nursing home, covered with laxatives and creams. I never thought I would be spending all of my free time researching diaper rash treatments.

We have tried positive reinforcement to encourage Robby to poop. Scott and I have both evacuated in front of him, following our "achievement" with a rousing rendition of the "Poop Poop Dance" and a sticker. Our sticker charts are bursting at the seams whereas Robby's column remains empty. This side of motherhood was never featured in Good Housekeeping!

My heart breaks as Robby cowers behind the Elmo oven, crying "poopy go away...poopy go away." I have tried to reason with him. Reasoning with a three year old is pointless, especially when it concerns poop.

Our topics of conversation lately have been all bowel related. Robby says that he does not want the poop to come out of his bum. I tell him that I want it to come out. We go around and around, making no progress. I am sure that any flies on our walls have fled for less "fecal focused" conversation.

We have been extremely blessed in our family. This is our first health issue with Robby, and he is three and a half. It is heartbreaking watching him struggle. His bum is beginning to heal with the help of the arsenal of ointments I have been lathering on him. As for the withholding issue, I know that "This too will pass." At least, it will pass with the help of Milk of Magnesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment