About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Turtles!

To my delight Robby has been adjusting well to the new dictatorship in the family. After spending much of the day in time out earlier this week, he has been noticeably absent from the naughty corner of late. His face magnet has remained on the smile and, at least for now, the verbal threat of changing his face to the frown has been enough deterrent to change his behavior.

In addition to abiding by the new family laws, at least most of the time, Robby has been good during multiple visits to my prosthetist. I have been fitted with a new test socket and I am trying a new liner. With so many prosthetic changes, the appointments are anything but quick. I have had three appointments with Elliot this week, and each one lasting well over an hour. That is a very long time for a toddler to behave, especially when presented with a limited toy selection!

Yesterday has been the only day all week that we haven't been busy with appointments. Since the weather was beautiful and Robby Rotten has been on a vacation, I decided to take my little zookeeper to the animal park.

Although my new socket fits well, I am never completely comfortable walking in a new leg. It takes me awhile to get the feel for a new component and for prosthetic trust to be developed. The new liner has a completely different design and feels foreign. All of the changes have combined to make me a cautious walker. I figured that a trip to the animal park would provide me with ample opportunity to become adjusted to the feel of my new leg.

Robby became elated when, upon entering the park, a zoo keeper told him that his beloved tortoises have come back. The large turtles were moved to Alabama during the winter months, and Robby has been looking for them to return since the park reopened in March. Since the workers know Robby well, they invited him into the habitat to greet and touch the tortoises.

I was apprehensive entering the turtle habitat. The turtles were massive and look like dinosaurs. Robby immediately walked over to the "little" turtle who weighs in at 200 pounds. The bigger turtle weighs 350 pounds! Apparently the sheer size of the prehistoric looking beasts did not dismay Robby. He immediately squatted down to pet and talk to his "friends."

Robby chatting with his turtle friends was charming to witness. Being a stereotypical Mommy, I just had to take pictures.

Robby was busy stroking the turtle's neck, and I knew that it would be a fantastic shot. I positioned myself in front of the turtle, squatted down and took the picture. Perfect! I suppose I became distracted with taking photographs and forgot about the larger turtle in the habitat.

Just as I clicked to save the picture I heard the zoo worker holler for me to stand up. I turned around and saw the giant tortoise behind me, with his long neck stretching out of his shell and his mouth moving up and down. I tried to stand up but, being on a new socket and liner, my reaction time has been negatively impacted.

Apparently my reactions are now slower than those of a 90 year old giant turtle. Before I could get up and out of the way, the giant reptile bit me in the butt.

I learned that turtles are attracted to certain colors, especially green. Yes, it was my misfortune to be wearing a bright green shirt. In the turtle's eyes, I was a very large stalk of celery.

My bum is bruised but the skin was not punctured. I am fine, although the experience has made me dislike turtles even more. The zoo keepers told me that they have seen the turtle nip, but that he has never bitten because everybody else has been able to outrun the giant animal. Everyone, that is, except for me!

1 comment:

  1. Which kind of liner did you get? We are using what is called the 'Winter' liner after winter the dolphin who has it's own prosthetic tail--if you lived in Fla. It would be an amazing experience to meet Winter especially with Robby! The liner is white and is supposed to be the most comfy made to date. It's a great liner from what my son says but does take abit of work to put it on and off which can be a challenge with a kid who wants to go swimming, jumping in those bouncy houses--things I don't think about till it happens. There is two ways to put this liner on, with a spray or using a bag with a tether attached to be pulled through the release valve. We have to use the spray because my son is not coordinated enough yet to remember to keep his weight full on the leg while pulling this bag out of the socket. So we have to travel with a spray bottle when needed :0) I will remember to never wear green or put my bum around 90 yr old turtles--thanks for the warning lol

    ReplyDelete