About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Demonstration

I have had a busy few days. Looking at the calendar, it seems that I'll be able to relax the weekend after Thanksgiving. Until then, I am a Mommy on the go!

Last week I spent a few days in Atlanta. I was the Proprio product model at a bionic training for prosthetists and physical therapists. I've done several of these events and was finally becoming comfortable with the event and with my role. Of course, just as I was becoming comfortable, the entire course was changed. Have I mentioned how much I hate change?

Instead of speaking and completing a few demonstrations, I found myself lying on a table being manipulated by a physical therapist. I was put through the same evaluation as soldiers who are returning from combat. Let me assure you, I am a busy Mommy and I am trying to stay fit, but I do not have the strength or the stamina of an active military soldier!

I was comfortable lying flat on the table. I've lost a lot of weight in the past month and was feeling trim and thin. It wasn't until I was told to turn towards the therapist, thus turning my rear towards the crowd, that I became self-conscious. Showing a room full of people the sheer vastness of my bum was not in the course description!

During the demonstration there was an emphasis on "core" muscles. I learned that I have a weak core. Not wanting to disappoint my colleagues, I pushed through cramping pain and continued the demonstration with a smile as I struggled to control my panting. I am still having trouble bending after completing an exercise called "the hundred" which involves, you guessed it, one hundred crunches. Ouch!

I was encouraged to utilize the muscles within my socket. Now my stump hurts. I'm not sure what the physical therapist did to the back of my legs but those muscles are sore as well. I thought that my increased exercise routine had improved my fitness. I was shown in one afternoon that I was wrong.

I'm going to continue to work on my core muscles for two reasons. I know that it is good for me and the possibility of having a flatter stomach is enticing. Perhaps more motivating is the knowledge that I am going to be doing the demonstration again and I don't want to be left in this much pain. I really hate exercising, but I love my heated mattress pad. It's like a body size heating pad, which is precisely what I need right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment