About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, December 02, 2010

I Tried.

Robby has a diverse religious heritage. His maternal grandfather is Jewish while his maternal grandmother is Lutheran turned Unitarian. His paternal grandmother is Methodist. I was not raised in the church, but Scott attended services regularly until high school.

Neither of us is religious, but we both acknowledge the importance of Robby knowing and honoring his roots. Since he was born we have done our best to expose him to all of his religious and cultural traditions. The Christian religions are relatively easy to explain and celebrate because of our familiarity with the traditions.

Unfortunately my knowledge of Jewish traditions is limited so I rely heavily upon the internet and my "Judaism for Dummies" book. I figure at his young age exposure is more important than protocol.

This is Robby's first Hanukkah without my Dad leading the Menorah lighting. I spent the day listening to a youtube video on a loop in an attempt to learn the Hebrew prayer. After constant practice I finally had the prayer memorized. I was ready to "Wow" Scott!

As the sun was setting I began to talk with Robby about the story behind Hanukkah. We read the book "Biscuit's First Hanukkah" and talked about the candles. His perseverating on the apparently humorous fact that oil can burn hindered his ability to grasp the bigger picture.

Undeterred and eager to pass on a family tradition, I brought out my menorah. He was excited to help me light the first candle. After the wick was lit, he looked at me as if he was expecting me to say something. I took a deep breathe and readied to repeat the Hebrew prayer. I was finally ready to impart the tradition without relying upon my Dad.

I froze. I couldn't remember a word. Scott and Robby were both looking at me and I felt the need to fill the void. In an attempt to fake it, I told Robby to make a wish. He wished for a new Hot Wheels toy.

It wasn't exactly the family tradition I had hoped to create. Robby did enjoy lighting the candle and making a wish, but he did seem confused when the ceremony wasn't followed by a cake. Oh well. I have another seven nights to get it right! Happy Hanukkah.

No comments:

Post a Comment