About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, December 03, 2010

Up on The Rooftop...

Most years I throw myself into decorating the house and our yard for the Christmas season. Typically I have lit candy canes bordering the driveway and colorful and bright lighted trees creating an illuminated forest with 7 foot inflatable snowmen interspersed for a jolly flair. I spend hours stringing lights and fumbling with cords, justifying my efforts because Robby loves the lights. In reality, I probably enjoy the decorations as much as he does.

Three years ago Scott surprised me by putting illuminated reindeer on the roof. I stood in the yard and watched him precariously perch the wire figures on the pitch of the roof. It took him almost two hours. I was so proud!

When the reindeer were secured, he began to beat his chest Tarzan style and proceeded to shout, "I have put reindeer on the roof. Tonight I may get lucky." He was surprised and embarrassed when he realized that a small group of neighbors had congregated to watch him on the roof.

I thoroughly loved the reindeer on my roof that year. Every time I saw them I would smile. The novelty began to fade when they were still up on the Fourth of July.

It has been three years, and the reindeer are still there. Actually, the heads flew away in a wind storm two years ago, and I'm fairly certain that the lead deer is now an amputee. Birds have picked apart the bright red bows for their nests and the squirrels have eaten the electric cord. I am now left with two headless, three legged reindeer on my roof that can't be lit.

Finally, after years of asking (although he would claim nagging) him to remove the reindeer, Scott revealed why the carcasses must stay. Zealous to make sure that his installation would last through the Christmas season, he added an extra security measure. Apparently he pounded their little hooves through the shingles and into the roof. Removing the reindeer now would essentially uncork the holes that he created. He has been banned from decorating.

This year I have decided to keep some of my decorations in storage. I just don't have the time or the energy to create my winter wonderland. I have strung lights between the trees and Frosty is proudly making his annual appearance. My yard is not nearly as festive as it has been in the past, but I am pleased with the minimalistic result. However, if you look closely-- and only during the day--you can still see reindeer bodies perched on the peak of my roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment