About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shopping Trip.

I hate shoe shopping. Actually, hate is probably not strong enough a description when it comes to my feelings about this chore. I detest it. For me. the task is on par with picking out a swimsuit.

Scott, knowing that I am trying to reinvent my image, wanted to buy me a "trendy" garment for Christmas. After talking with the women at his work and looking at what the teenagers were wearing, he decided to buy me a pair of boots. A sweater or shirt would have been easier--shoes are difficult for me to choose. He certainly set a lofty goal for himself!

I try to avoid taking Robby to shoe stores at all costs. Something about the endless rows of boxes and the stools with mirrors interspersed throughout the aisles brings out the imp in him. I find it nearly impossible to shop and to keep Robby from constructing a fort made out of shoes and boxes. Scott was unaware that entering a shoe store would immediately unleash Robby Rotten.

Trying to restrain Robby while selecting a pair of shoes for me frustrated my sweet husband. He knew that I needed a boot that would open up completely allow for my prosthetic. He also knew that I liked dark brown and soft fabrics. That is where his shoe knowledge stopped. He forgot to ask my shoe size.

Needless to say, he guessed the wrong size. Yesterday we returned the three sizes too small boots. (Unfortunately I have now returned 2/3 of my Christmas gifts this year. The vagina bag goes in the mail to be returned today.) Determined to buy me a pair of trendy boots, we shopped all afternoon, leaving small shoebox forts and disheveled salesclerks in our wake.

Despite our efforts, we failed to find any boots. To be honest, I knew that we were not going to find anything. I spent numerous hours last year trying to find boots without success. Finding a cute boot with a zipper all the way to the bottom to allow for my foot shell, that isn't confining around my Proprio ankle and that will fit over my apparently fat calf is impossible.

We left the mall frazzled and frustrated. I was upset and saddened that my amputation was interfering with my fashion desires. (Admittedly this was ironic since I was never a shoe fanatic when I had both feet!) Scott was deflated because he couldn't find a trendy boot for me. Robby Rotten was whining about the time we spent shoe shopping. Although we never found a pair of boots, something positive did come from the quest. We spent the day together and discovered that we all hate shoe shopping!

1 comment:

  1. lol all in all it was a good day because you were all together :0) but I do recall the shoe forts, saying no don't touch that.. as a crash and a giggling twin would laugh as his brother pulled over boxes of shoes. In fact I went into a shoe store today looking for a pair of 'mules' that all the teenage girls are wearing in school here. I thought they would be perfect for my soon to be 17yr old daughter, especially since the going clearance price is 7.00! Well I had to stop in the store with my now 12 yr old twins--last time I took them in a shoe store was when they were 7 lol (once they hit school I never took them back and always get their shoes without them) Well there wasn't any shoe forts but there was a sudden need for more shoes from both of them who claim they don't have any... (they both got new shoes for Christmas!) I had no luck finding my daughter the shoes since she is a delicate woman's size 11! A size that didn't carry many in that style... I was glad to escape the shoe store without a crash or temper tantrum but the thought of getting home to video games calmed their urge to argue the need for more shoes...

    ReplyDelete