About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, December 27, 2010

My Professional Christmas

This is the first Christmas that I did not receive a cooking appliance from Scott. Without coordinating their efforts, both my Mom and Scott chose gifts with a professional theme this year. I think that they are expecting me to travel, or they are both excited that I finally have a job (albeit non-traditional)!

Scott surprised me with an HTML reference book to learn how to make improvements on the AmputeeMommy.com. I am overwhelmed by the jargon used by the authors but I am determined to become competent coding in the coming year. It's been a long time since I have had to study anything, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I also received a beautiful leather briefcase. I have been concerned about being perceived as a "boring housewife" when I attend conferences and trainings. I had to carry all of my items in a giant Mom purse simply because I didn't own anything professional.

Scott heard me voice my insecurities. Having decided to get me a briefcase, he was shocked at the number of styles that are available. He bought the briefcase knowing that I would probably exchange it, but he wanted to give me something to unwrap. I thought that was sweet!

To be honest, the thought behind the gift is more beautiful than the bag itself. It is all black but I probably would have preferred brown. The style is nice with the exception of the embellishment on the corner. The design is....er... odd.

The design is supposed to be a lily flower. I inferred this because the bag is called "The Lily." Perhaps I've seen too many Georgia O'Keeffe photographs, or maybe my mind borders slightly above the gutter. In either case, I don't see a lily in the design. All I see is a.... vagina.

I have tried to see the design as a lily, but my mind can't get past the genital image. Every time I look at the bag I blush and then giggle like a 6th grader. While I appreciate the gesture, I am going to have to exchange the "vagina bag."

In spite of the Criss Cross Crash snafu, we had a wonderful Christmas. After the presents were ripped open in record time and the Santa and Snowman pancakes had been eaten, we packed the car and headed to my mom's house. Robby slept in the car nearly the entire trip which was not surprising. After all, he was up extremely early in anticipation of Santa!

Originally we had planned on returning to Virginia on Christmas night. Our quest for a replacement crash track forced us to stay in Pennsylvania. The Toys R Us near my Mom's house had the toy in stock whereas the stores near us did not. The decision to stay was easy.

I am happy to report that Robby is happily playing with his coveted toy. He and his Daddy seem to love watching the cars zoom around the track, and both boys become excited when a crash occurs. Obviously it is a "boy thing" because I don't understand the appeal!


We are treading through a mine field of toys and boxes in my living room. HotWheels cars, Legos and Lincoln Logs are littering the hallway and sofa cushions. Robby's spin art machine malfunctioned so now my hardwood floor in the dining room is tye-dyed. My house is a wreck, but I don't care right now. I can clean later. Right now, I want to continue celebrating the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment