About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Acupuncture

I have been writing a blog for my prosthetist for the past several months. He and I typically speak a few times a month to develop ideas for posts, and a few weeks ago he asked me to research and write about acupuncture for phantom nerve pain.

During my research I uncovered a lot of information that I want to share. I know through email and other cyber conversations that many of my readers have considered the treatment, but everyone expressed the same concern and hesitancy about having needles placed into their residual limb.

To be honest, I have toyed with the idea of going for acupuncture treatments. Although I don't have a severe pain problem, I do have occasional flare ups that drive me crazy and make me feel miserable. The prospect of having a non-narcotic yet effective remedy is enticing. Alas, I am not keen on needles so I never pursued the treatment.

Researching for the other blog, I was surprised to learn that the needles are NEVER to be placed into the residual limb. In fact, I called several local acupuncturists in my area who cautioned that the amputee should leave the office if the residual limb is suggested as the treatment site.

For acupuncture to be most effective to treat phantom nerve pain, the scalp and the ear lopes are the optimum treatment site. I never would have guessed this, which is why I am sharing the information. Needles are subcutaneously placed strategically on the scalp or earlobes of the amputee. The needles are turned periodically throughout the session and are in place from 10 to 30 minutes.

While I'm still not crazy about the idea of needles (although I've been told numerous times that it does not hurt), knowing that my stump wouldn't be punctured during the treatment makes acupuncture a more desirable option. I've read glowing reviews from amputees who swear by acupuncture for treating their phantom pain. After reading the testimonials, and learning that the residual limb is not manipulated, I'm almost willing to submit to becoming a human pin cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment