About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

My Two Cents

Last year in an attempt to financially contribute to my family, I tried to monetize my blog. I reasoned that actually making a small income from my writing would be a good thing! I tried various ad venues, each with poor results. I was not pleased with the quality of the ads being displayed (pet caskets come to mind) and I thought that the blog looked cluttered and tacky.

Finally, I settled on a small search link from amazon.com. When an individual clicks on the link and makes a purchase, I receive a small percentage of the price. My blog is also available for subscription through Amazon.com for the Kindle, and I receive a percentage of each subscription. I wrote a post introducing the Amazon.com link but I never heavily promoted its use. Since the earnings are deposited directly into our savings account, I never tracked the amounts.

Last week our mailbox overflowed with various tax documents. I was excited when I saw the form from Amazon.com, anxious to see what my profits for the year had been. After all, last year I wrote 292 posts. I was proud to see how much I contributed to the family income.

I opened the envelope. I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry. My blog truly is a labor of love--as demonstrated by my earnings. I earned a whopping $10.20 last year. This works out to be approximately 3.5 cents per blog.

Last year, I earned a pizza with my blogging income. Then I was reminded that I owed taxes on the earnings. So, in actuality I might have earned enough for a frozen pizza!

Be assured that I do not write the blog for compensation (obviously), but to reach out to everyone who may be looking for a mom's view of life as an amputee. I will continue to write, but I won't count on the income to pay my electric bill! You will, of course, be getting more than my two-cent's worth!

2 comments:

  1. Tried to also..I made $29 and some change. Now I don't know how to get the money since it has to meet a threshold. I've been thinking of giving it a try again. Just don't know yet.

    It seems like unless we have a Great Morman Mommy Blog, a perfect parenting blog, or a great witty blog we are desending into just our faithful followers!! I'll let you know if I decide to try it again.

    Don't know why, but I do enjoy reading yours! haha....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think you'd be making a bunch since this is such a great blog and you've helped so many. next time something like the airport blog that caused such a stir--you need to make sure you get ton's of plugs in lol. If I use amazon from here will it still count for swagbucks?

    ReplyDelete