About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Form or Function?

I recently found an article which featured a prototype arm prosthesis. The photo of the prosthesis intrigued me immediately because instead of attempting to mimic the form and shape of the limb, the designer took a new approach: the prosthesis did not resemble an arm but a tentacle from an octopus.

From the photo featured in the article, I immediately became fascinated. The tentacle arm designer apparently made no attempts to tweak her design to resemble a human shape. From her perspective, function was more important than form.

I began to think, would people really use a tentacle shaped arm if it restored function? Would I be willing to walk around with a fin or corkscrew shaped prostheses if it worked better than a foot/leg shaped prostheses?

When I first became an amputee, I was adamant about wearing a cosmetic cover. I remember being self-conscience about my prostheses, and I didn't want anybody to notice. At that point, looking like a "real leg" was paramount.

Had the Proprio Foot been available at the time, I suspect I would have dismissed the technology. After all, one of the drawbacks of this ankle remains its incompatibility with a cosmetic cover. In fact, not only must the ankle be exposed and uninhibited in order to work properly, a relatively large battery must be adhered to the socket.

As I became more comfortable in my new body, my concern about how others perceived me faded. After 18 months I ripped off the cosmetic cover. I no longer cared what other people thought. I was an amputee, but I was not ashamed. Function became more important.

I have learned to view my prosthetic legs as "tools" rather than a limb "replacement." I will wear any prosthetic that feels comfortable and restores function lost by my amputation. Of course, legs and feet are easy to disguise when I don't want to be obvious.

I would like to think that I would proudly embrace a tentacle arm if I was an upper extremity amputee. I wear my various legs with pride. (Of course, I know that I always have the option of wearing pants to avoid stares.) It would take a lot of courage to choose form over function when the prostheses is so visually different than the norm. I am not sure I'm that brave.

1 comment:

  1. I went through chemo and was bald for 6 months. I only wore scarfs or hats when I felt it would make other people uncomfortable. I was fine with it. After a short while, I figured, hey, this is me, if they are uncomfortable with it, it's not my problem but theirs. We are who we are, bald, fat, skinny, amputees, etc. Be who you are and embrace it.

    ReplyDelete