About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Florida Adventure

I have been looking forward to this weekend for weeks! In fact, I'm so excited that I have been having a difficult time sleeping. I feel like a little child on Christmas Eve.

Robby and I have been invited to attend a running clinic in St. Petersburg, Florida. The only thing that would make this absolutely perfect would be Scott's attendance. Unfortunately, the new hot water heater took priority over his plane ticket. We will miss him, but I know that he is excited for us.

I was honored, and now terrified, that I have been asked to speak at the event. I am not a public speaker, and the prospect scares me. I am hoping to channel my "inner teacher" before the event, allowing me to speak coherently and clearly.

I hope that Robby behaves while my attentions are diverted to the audience. I have visions of his stripping down and streaking the participants. I worry about him "helping" me during my speech, offering impromptu knock knock jokes that are only funny to him. We have been practicing how to sit quietly and behave during Momom's speech. For some reason, now when I ask him to demonstrate, he begins to meow and hiss like an angry cat.

The irony that I am speaking at a running clinic has been a source of humor for my family and close friends. Those who know me realize that I am not a runner. In fact, I haven't been out for a jog since I ran a 5K last year. It dawned on me, about half way through that race, that I really hate running!

I am not sure what I am going to say on Saturday. The pessimist in me doubts that I have anything of substance to offer. I am trying to remember that I was invited for a reason, and perhaps the organizers feel that my words may contribute to the event. I can only hope that inspiration hits me sometime between now and Saturday morning!

After the event, Robby and I have a full docket. Unfortunately I'm not permitted to reveal my itinerary, but on Monday I will provide a full accounting with pictures. Just know that Robby and I are both thrilled about this once in a lifetime opportunity, and we will be very busy!!

Wish me luck on Saturday. I will have my hands full between excited and unpredictable Robby and giving a speech. I hope that I find the right words and that I can deliver my thoughts effectively. I'm nervous, but I'm going to try my best and see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be there to help entertain Robby, but the mean ole bosses won't let me take time off yet :0( I have been to this clinic two times and last year it had quite a crowd. I know that most who are there are not regular runners either-there are people from all age groups and yes there are some regular runners. Last yr. we were at a baseball field, when not participating, my son and his twin spent as much time searching the stands for 'actual real professional baseballs' we had quite a hall by the time we left. There will be a bunch of kids to play with, some Robby's age with prosthetics. Last year a few of the local college's had student physical therapist's there to help with obstical courses and figuring out how to run. I'm betting you might find a eager young therapist who might enjoy playing with Robby while your giving your speech :0) To me even if you are not a professional runner, you can show young women that you can be an amputee and a mommy of an active child. Uggg I wish I could be there--having a job is great, but not having the freedom of a stay at home mom schedule is frustrating and disappointing. But next yr. I will no longer be the 'new' girl and will be able to ask for time off and finally get to meet in person! One thing though we might have had trouble tomorrow if I weren't working because Travis's leg started hurting and he even asked for crutches at school today. I think he has had a growth spurt or took what a very excited physical therapist who has ton's of ideas for Travis (he's the only amputee child she has ever had) when she evaluated him at school to make sure he is doing fine in a school setting. Tonight we are going to a relay for life walk with his old physical therapist who had breast cancer, he say's his leg will be fine by then so we will see-it might be a short night.

    ReplyDelete