About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, June 06, 2011

Action...again and again and again

Saturday morning Robby woke me before the sun rose. I knew that any attempt to put him back to bed would be in vain. Instead, we sneaked out to the living room and watched SpongeBob until I had enough coffee in my system to function.

Robby was excited about the "people with cameras" coming to our house. Ever since he saw the Proprio foot brochure that features the photographs taken in California, he seems to have a deeper understanding of why people are taking our pictures. All morning he practiced smiling and posing in anticipation of our film crew guests.

I, on the other hand, was more nervous than excited. I tried to stay focused as much as possible, to fully absorb the experience without tainting it with my own fear, insecurities and anxieties. I didn't faint, so I consider my attempts at staying calm successful!

The crew was both nice and professional and had a clear vision of exactly what they wanted. After brief introductions, we immediately went to work.

In the quest for an "urban/ casual shopping trip" clip, I grabbed my assorted outfits and headed to our local strip mall. Luckily the recession has closed half of the shops, allowing for a relatively uninterrupted access to the area. Robby was handed a blue ball to bounce, and we were instructed to walk.

We walked the same path in on that sidewalk for nearly 90 minutes. Robby was an absolutely trooper. He complained to me as we "casually strolled" again (and again) but he never stopped working. He looked past the cameras and followed the directors instructions to the letter, making sure to bounce the ball precisely ten times on each trip. I couldn't have been prouder of his behavior!

After the shopping center shoot wrapped, we ate a quick lunch and started back to work. We spent the afternoon at the stream at our favorite park. Robby was so busy climbing, exploring and looking for salamanders that he was oblivious to the fact that we were being filmed.

I, wearing sandals with an inch and a half heel, was acutely aware of the film crew. There was nothing natural, nor graceful, about me trying to traverse rocks and a stream in heels, tight clothes and full make-up. It wasn't until I slipped and nearly dropped Robby in the stream that they asked me to change my shoe into a lower, more realistic heel.

Both Robby and I were exhausted by the time we arrived home. Having been on my feet all day, all I wanted to do was take off my leg and relax. I had no ambition to make dinner, and I think that we were both too tired to eat much anyway. We each had a bowl of ice cream and a brownie and went to bed. Not nutritious, but I think it was well-deserved!

The filming took the entire day but everybody seemed pleased with the footage and photos, and I have a good feeling about the interview portion! I was told that the video will be released sometime in December, and I will be sure to post a link on this blog and my website. Now to return to normal life- and maybe a few days of doing nothing!

<------- The Icelandic film crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment