About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Boy, Happy Halloween!

On Friday I hosted my inaugural room mom event. We were celebrating Halloween in Robby's class, a party that was fun for all who participated. His classmates made monster popcorn hands, caramel apples and "dead worms in dirt" cups. Pumpkins were carved and seeds were roasted. His little friends had a great time with the limbo contest, regardless of the fact that none of them seemed to understand the rules. On the way home from his party he told me that it was the "best day of his whole life."

Saturday morning we awoke to a wonderful surprise. Well, it was considered wonderful from the perspective of a five year old, it wasn't nearly as celebrated by most adults. Our area was blanketed with snow!

Robby and I spent the afternoon baking Halloween cookies and brownies. We made a roaring fire and watched The Great Pumpkin at least six times. At night we made popcorn, roasted marshmallows in the fire and curled up on the couch to watch Ghostbusters. Tucking him into bed, he whispered that it was the "bestest day of my whole life" before kissing my cheek.

By yesterday morning the snow had melted and the sun was shining brightly against the blue sky. Still cold, Robby bundled up and went running outside when he saw Mr. Bill working in the yard. The two picked up sticks and hickory nuts for hours before sharing a cheese and cracker lunch.

After taking a break to watch The Great Pumpkin (again) I told Robby that he needed to get into his Halloween costume because I had a surprise. (I didn't know he was capable of getting dressed so quickly!) We picked up his little friend Rowan and headed out to Trunk or Treat.

Trunk or Treat is a community event hosted by a local church. Members of the congregation decorate the trunks of their cars and trucks, dress in costumes and pass out candy. I don't know who had more fun, Robby and Rowan trunk or treating or me watching them. I simply love seeing him so happy!

Robby doesn't eat candy, but that didn't stop him from acquiring as much as possible. We had to double back because he was convinced that we had missed a car. It turns out that he was right. We came home with a pumpkin overflowing with candy. It was promptly dumped in the center of our bed so that he could show his daddy the loot.

After taking his bath and getting dressed in his soft new Halloween pajamas, he proclaimed that it was "the best day ever!" Tonight we are going Trick or Treating through our neighborhood, which I have no doubt will create another "best day ever." Robby's enthusiasm for life and effervescent joy are two of his best qualities. He is such a happy little boy, and I am so lucky to be his Momom!

On a similar topic, Scott and Robby dress in complimentary costumes every year. It is a tradition that started with Robby's first Halloween, when he was only 5 months old. The unveiling of their costumes has become highly anticipated by our neighbors and friends. Tomorrow I will post pictures of their costumes from this year, but I wanted to share our previous Halloween costumes.





The first Halloween they were hotdogs.

















For the second Halloween Robby was Curious George and Scott was the Man in the Yellow Hat.









The third Halloween Robby was a runaway Gingerbread man and Scott was the cookie sheet.















For the fourth Halloween Robby was a dinosaur and Scott was a caveman.













Last year Robby dressed as a pirate and Scott was his piratical first mate.







??? This year, well you'll have to check back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment