About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, October 28, 2011

My Room Mom Debut!

I was delighted when I was asked by Robby's teacher if I would like to be Room Mom. Of course I agreed, trying to play it nonchalant by keeping my giddiness in check until I was clearly out of earshot. As soon as I got to the car, both my Mom and Scott received hyper phone calls from me as I gleefully told them my fabulous news. I take this responsibility seriously, and plan on being the room Mom that will become the story of legends for years to come!

Most of Robby's classmates already know me. I spent a few hours in his class last week talking to his classmates about my amputation and prosthetic. I was hoping that the discussion would stem some of the curiosity. So far that has not happened. It seems that "Guess what leg Robby's Mommy will be Wearing" has become a favorite lunchtime game!

Now when I go to pick him up after lunch, I am met with hugs by not only my son, but from his friends as well. Almost in unison the kids begin chattering about my leg choice while putting in requests for me to wear a different leg tomorrow. Not only do they note and question my prosthetic, they continue to be fascinated with the location of the now almost mystical "chopped off foot."

I am hoping that my position as Room Mom will allow Robby's classmates to see beyond my prosthetic. Today is the Kindergarten Halloween party, and I venture to guess I'm as excited as Robby. Robby is thrilled about a day of fun, games and food with his classmates. I'm looking forward to making my mark as Room Mom! Hopefully, by throwing a great Trick-or-Treat party, I can recast my role in his class from the Robot Mom to the Fun Mom.

Pictures and commentary to follow after the party!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new role! You are too cute! Robby is a lucky little man.

    When I was growing up, we had a family friend/neighbor who is missing an arm. I think I was very curious about it as a kid, of course. But, I realized as I got older, I started to completely forget about that characteristic of her. It wasn't even on the radar anymore cause she was just a cool adult to me. You are teaching these kids an awesome lesson in indulging their natural curiosity and helping them see that while it's a part of you...it's not YOU. You are gonna be an awesome FUN mom. Have fun today!!

    ReplyDelete