About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Awareness Video

A few weeks ago Robby and I drove to DC to film of a Public Service Announcement for the Amputee Coalition. I was nervous, excited, and honored to have been asked to be participate in such an important endeavor. The fact that the PSA is scheduled to be streamed in New York City on the Jumbotron is overwhelming.

The truth is, I find it completely humbling that my image will be shown on such a public platform. I fretted and fussed as I tried to ready myself for the filming. I lost a lot of sleep as I worried about looking well-rested and attractive for this filming!

So many times our culture portrays amputees in a derogatory fashion. Often we are depicted as unhappy and morose drains on society. People often fear losing a limb with the same intensity that they fear dying. It is time we work towards changing these perceptions.

I wanted to take this opportunity to provide a realistic example of life with limb loss. While I would prefer to have all of my limbs, I have evolved into a happy, successful, involved individual who not only exists but fully participates in life. I am the normal amputee, somebody who is living a full life and happens to be missing a part of my body. Although the amputation will always be part of me, I do not define myself by my limb loss.

Being a woman with body image issues, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never be completely satisfied with my appearance. Despite my personal critique of my appearance, I am delighted to be able to share this video. I am proud to have been a part of this project.

2 comments:

  1. Media sensationalism such as this doesn't help, for crying out loud: http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/27/10890647-man-cuts-off-foot-throws-it-in-furnace-to-avoid-job-assignment

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspiring and encouraging to amputees everywhere! I lost my foot at the age of 17, and have been blessed to experience the same happy, successful kind of life that you have. The more people like you and me can share our stories, the better chance we have of changing the perception of amputees in our culture.

    ReplyDelete