About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, June 29, 2012

My Socket List

Since I started working out at my new gym, I have been feeling renewed and energized. I've dropped two sizes so far, and I am stronger and happier.  In spite of my emerging limb issues, I am feeling fantastic!

I hadn't realized how lethargic I had become until I started to feel more energetic. Looking back, I spent a lot of time during the past few months sitting and fretting instead of being fully engaged in my life. I'm tired of worrying about things that I can't control, and I'm tired of living on the sidelines. This summer, I am vowing to turn things around and live my life to the fullest.

I've decided to create what I am dubbing a "socket list." The concept is based on the traditional bucket list which is essentially a register of things that you want to do or accomplish before you die. I am feeling a need to extend myself and to try new experiences. Creating and writing down my goals help me maintain focus, so I've decided to share the top five items on my socket list.


1. I want to go on a zip line adventure. I don't want simply to  go to an amusement park; I want it to be a real excursion. There are several opportunities in the mountains, and I'm investigating which will be the most feasible. It's ironic that this is a dream of mine considering that I hate heights and speed. Despite my various phobias, zooming down a zip line just seems like it would be exhilarating!

2. I'm not sure when or how, but I am going to get to the beach this summer. It has been years since I've walked along the shore looking for shells and feeling the salt water come over my foot. Robby would be utterly mesmerized by the lights, sounds, and smells of the boardwalk, and I want to provide this experience. 

3. I live outside of Washington, D.C., which is a hot spot of cultural events and activities. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my familiarity with the city's landmarks is sparse at best. I've only traveled into the city on one occasion to sight see, and that was when we had guests in town!

This summer I want to expand my tourist repertoire by visiting the main monuments and taking a double decker tour bus. Robby is now old enough to begin to appreciate the significance of where he lives, and if he doesn't understand the importance now, he will at least have a faint memory of seeing the monuments.


4. In addition to touring D.C., I have decided to designate one day a week to be "family fun day." We will spend the day doing something  in our area, such as visiting the Pirate themed water park, going fishing or camping. Robby is six and right now he actually enjoys spending time with us. I realize that this will change in a few years, so I plan on taking advantage of the opportunity while I have it!


5. Going to the gym has been a positive change in my life, and I plan on continuing. This summer I will try to work-out at least four times a week. I am hoping to lose another 10 pounds before the end of summer, but I'm learning that the scale isn't nearly as important as I thought.

I'm looking forward to embracing the changes and adventures that lie ahead during the next two months!

No comments:

Post a Comment