About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, July 06, 2012

Showdown at the Gym

One of the reasons I like my new gym lies in the escape it provides me. I don't have to chit chat with anybody. I can just go in, turn off my mind, and turn my stress and anxiety into sweat on the gym floor.

Earlier this week I had an encounter at the gym that left me both speechless (this does not happen often) and shocked. For the first time since I started working out, I was approached by somebody who was apparently angry at all amputees and wanted to make his opinion known. The rudeness of some people will always be lost on me.

I was struggling with my shoulder lifts when this older man approached. I gave him the courtesy hello paired with a slight nod of my head. He scowled in return.

Without any introduction, he looked straight into my eyes and proceeded with his tirade. "You are what is wrong with this country. You should be ashamed of yourself. Here you are working out and getting disability. Get off of your lazy a$$ and get a job. Get off welfare, there is nothing wrong with you. You just don't want to do anything and just want to stay home collecting my money. You are everything that is wrong with this country and the reason that we are failing."

Dumbfounded, I sat still for a few moments as I tried to process. This man, this individual who has never even said hello to me, is blaming me for the woes of the country? It didn't take long before I became angry.

I took a deep breath in an attempt to steady my voice, stood up, and met him nose to nose. I was slightly amused that he winced when I stood in his face. I stared in his eyes for a few seconds before offering my response.

"Sir, I am not what is wrong with this country. I have a job. I am not on disability nor am I on welfare. In fact, I think that you are what's wrong with this country. Your rush to judgement is the problem. You epitomize both ignorance and intolerance."

I stood toe to toe, waiting for a response but he simply slithered away. With my nerves shaken, I stayed to finish my work-out. My inclination was to grab my keys and run to the sanctuary of my car, but I also knew that my message would have been lost had I not stood my ground and finished the circuit. I was upset, but I had no reason to hide!

I haven't seen this man since our showdown, and I am hoping it stays that way. Confrontation doesn't come easily for me, and I am proud of myself for standing my ground and defending myself. Perhaps my muscles aren't the only thing getting stronger!




2 comments:

  1. woo wooo way to gooooooo Peggy..im proud of you..!!! big Pat on the back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Thats Awsome!! I feel like you not only defended yourself but so many more! But honestly at the same time my feelings are kinda hurt by his words even if not spoken directly to me. Does he think we just set out to become amputees? It isnt like we chose this!

    ReplyDelete