About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Power Washing Graffiti

Although I would like to be good at everything, I realize that I am not. Wisdom comes from being able to accept your limitations and recognizing when to call for help. A few days ago I had an epiphany. I have a lot of talents, but painting is not one of them. After much thought, I decided that we needed to call a professional to paint the deck.

If our deck were only in the back of our home, I don't think it would be as imperative that it was done correctly. However, our deck extends around the front of our house and is the focal point. If it were not painted cleanly, the entire exterior would suffer.

It took me nearly 24 hours to power wash the deck and front stairs. I shudder to think of how long it would take me to paint and reseal everything! Assuming that Scott would help, I'm sure it would be a multi-weekend project. Neither one of us is a skilled painter, and we would probably end up with splatters on the adjoining bricks and windows.

I've spent so much time working on our deck that I am beginning to resent the structure altogether. Finishing up the power washing on Sunday, I took out my frustrations and amused my juvenile sensibilities by playing with the spray nozzle.  I gleefully discovered that I could write foul words into the mold on the pillars. I spent the next hour writing foul graffiti on the perimeter of my deck.


It wasn't until I attempted to erase the evidence with the power washer that I realized an important piece of information:  adjusting the nozzle not only changes the size of the spray but also increases the intensity as well. In essence, I had carved the unseemly words deep into the wood. The only way it can be undone is with a sander.


It was at this juncture that I decided to throw in the white towel and call for estimates. Not only do I need the deck to be painted, but I need my graffiti to be planed away. I can't wait until this project is over, and I can just relax on my deck instead of working on it. I'm hoping that the painters can start soon because Robby can't have any play dates until the foul language is removed from the front of our house!

1 comment: