About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

First Grade-- Ready or Not

This morning I woke up with an inexplicable urge to cuddle Robby. Logic intervened and kept me from digging through the back of my garage to retrieve the pieces of his crib, long ago disassembled. He is at a wonderful age, where he is able to interact with and explore the world. I love spending time with him, but I miss my little baby!

I have decided that Robby is simply growing up too quickly. It feels like I was just carrying him around on my hip. Now I have to remember to bend at my knees when I pick him up or I risk throwing my back out.

Today I'll be sending him to the First grade. I'm delighted that he's excited to be going to school. Once he met with his new teacher, and she explained that they were going to learn how to be scientists, he has been eager to start. I thrilled that he is so excited to learn!

Although I've been careful to not cry in front of him, my private tears are telling me that I'm not ready to let him go! I wish I could keep him home, and keep him little, for another year (or two). I never imagined that it would be so painful letting him grow up.

The house is going to be uncomfortably quiet in a few hours. I know that the void will quickly be filled with work projects and responsibilities, and that I will adjust to a new schedule. After all, the fact that I won't have to get up before dawn and work after both boys have gone to bed will feel like a vacation. Still, I know that I'm going to miss having Robby around the house.

I worry about every aspect of his adjustment, but I also know in my heart that he will thrive.  He is ready for the adventures that await him. I just have to figure out how to let him go.

After I drop Robby off at school, I have been invited to drive straight to Mr. Bill's house. He has promised coffee, cupcakes and chocolate to minimize the empty nest anxieties. I'm hoping that spending the morning with a friend will help.

Please wish us both luck. I hope that the only tears shed this morning are mine.  Check back later for photos of my super big First grader!




No comments:

Post a Comment