About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sleepwalker

Although it has only occurred a handful of times in my life during times of stress or fatigue, I have been known to sleepwalk. Normally I wander through the house always searching for my shoes until somebody finds me and tells me to go back to bed. I understand that I am compliant with the directive. and when I wake up the next morning I am confused with a vague recollection of my nighttime jaunt.

My sleepwalking incidents are so infrequent that my last one was more than 10 years ago. I had all but forgotten about my nighttime excursions until Sunday night when I had the misfortune of experiencing my first sleepwalking adventure since becoming an amputee. 

Needless to say, but it bears repeating, I am not an amputee when I dream. When I am asleep I am transformed into a beautiful woman twenty pounds thinner, ten years younger and completely bi-legged.  Socket and prosthetic issues along with the other frustrations of being an amputee are kept in my waking reality and are not welcome in dreamland.

Sunday night I went to bed fretting about a variety of issues. Despite being exhausted, I had a difficult time falling asleep. Eventually I must have drifted off because I remember sitting at the edge of the bed and muttering that I wanted to get my boots. In retrospect this declaration was odd considering that I don't own a pair of boots!

Logic never intervened and I was determined to get my non-existent boots. Unfortunately, I failed to remember that I was missing a leg. One step into my boot quest and THUD! Trust me, nothing will wake me up faster than falling straight down in the middle of the night!

After the shocking pain wore off, it took me a few moments to figure out why I was on the floor. I crawled back into bed and eventually fell asleep. I woke up the next morning sore from sleep-falling and a little embarrassed by the mishap. I'm nursing an uncomfortable shoulder and some bruises, but I am no worse for the wear. Except, of course, for my pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment