About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Limping Disaster

Robby is in the final stage of Dengue Fever which is reminiscent of the beginning of the illness. He has a high temperature, is uncomfortable and complaining of his bones aching, and is extremely tired. My heart aches seeing him suffer; I'm so glad that this illness is coming to an end. The doctors assure us that, barring any complications, my sweet little boy should slowly start reemerging over the weekend. I can't wait until I am woken up in the morning by my smiling little guy, begging for cartoons and waffles.

It is not an exaggeration when I say that I have have only been sleeping a few hours at night. I am constantly awake, monitoring Robby's temperature and fretting about his health. For Christmas this year I only want two things: Robby to be healthy and a solid, undisturbed night's sleep. My sleepless state has been having profound effects on everything that I do throughout the day. To put it simply, I've become stupid.

Yesterday I attempted to do some laundry. I loaded the dryer with a basket full of clothes, set the temperature to high and turned on the machine. An hour later, proud that I had been at least quasi-productive, I went to retrieve the clothes. It was then that I realized that I had forgotten to wash the clothes. I managed to dry my dirty laundry, thoroughly setting in all of the stains!

I broke my favorite mug by dropping it on the kitchen floor. I didn't knock it off the counter nor did I lose my balance. I heard the phone ring and rather than put my mug down on the table or carry it with me to pick up the receiver, I simply opened my hand and let gravity take over. On the plus side, I had forgotten to put the coffee into the mug, so I only spilled the creamer and sugar (which I was about to drink before I became distracted.)

I heard Robby calling for me while I was cleaning up the shards of my favorite mug. I grabbed a handful of nuts out of the bowl on my counter and went back to tend to him. It was only after I thoroughly chewed- and swallowed- did I realize that I wasn't eating nuts. I was eating cat food. My nuts were in the bowl on the floor next to the water fountain and the cat food was on the counter.

My mistake riddled day continued with my substituting tooth paste for hand cream, unloading the dishwasher only to realize that the dishes were still dirty and using four envelopes to send a simple letter because I couldn't write down the address correctly. By the time Scott came home I had waved the white surrender flag and had abandoned all hopes of housework for the day. I have evolved into a limping, sleepless disaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment