About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, May 24, 2013

In Defense of Moms!

It has recently been brought to my attention that some individuals still do not respect parents who put their career on hold to stay home with their children. As a stay-at-home Mom for five years, I must express my utter outrage at such implications. I worked harder staying at home and raising Robby than I did when I was a childless professional.

When I was teaching, I could look forward to days off, weekends and summer vacations. There was always an end goal--a marker that I could anticipate during the stressful days. When I transitioned to staying at home with Robby, the days off also evaporated. In reality, I haven't had a real vacation since he was born!

Now that I'm working from home, I am not longer the stereotypical stay-at-home Mom. I am still as involved in Robby's life, I still cook the meals and I'm still responsible for all of the household chores. The only difference is that now my time while he is at school is used for work instead of caring for him. I am busier now than at any other time in my life. I am constantly working on a project, finishing up homework, or anticipating the next meal. Again, there is no break in sight.

It infuriates me when my contributions as a stay-at-home parent are minimized. I may not put on professional clothes and drive into an office each day, but my work is just as important and just as taxing as my professional counterparts. It's time that all parents receive equal respect for their contributions!

No comments:

Post a Comment