About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day!

I woke up this morning thinking about my Pop (maternal Grandfather). Having served through three military conflicts, he was proud of his Air Force career. Although he has been gone for almost 20 years, I continue to miss him and think of him daily. He was such a special part of my life.

I visited my Mom this weekend and it wasn't until I was driving home yesterday that I realized that we hadn't been to the cemetery to lay flowers. I felt horrible, feeling like the oversight was somehow disrespectful. Of course I know that my Pop would not have been upset because he would have approved of what I was doing. Between helping my Mom in her yard, visiting the local arts festival and finding a left handed hockey stick for Robby, the two day visit was extremely busy and productive. My Pop would want me busy and active with life, not mournful and sad over his passing.

Although I didn't make it to the cemetery over this weekend, I did visit in March. I went by myself, which hasn't happened since I was in college. I enjoyed the solitude and I felt the presence of both my Pop and my Nan, who is buried with him. I left with a renewed sense of strength, feeling them both with me and believing that they would be proud of me.

I'm thinking of my Pop today, but I'm not sad. I'm going to talk with Robby again about his Great Grandfather, the wonderful soul after whom he was named, and then we will go outside to play. Weather permitting, I predict a day full of tadpole hunting and badminton in my future. I can't think of a better way to spend the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment